After several attempts at getting the rear of the canopy latch block to fit well, I finally ended up drilling them in place. I had a heck of a time getting that downward, and inward hole drilled correctly. I ended up drilling a pilot hole in the drill press, with a 19 degrees downward slope and a 5 degree inward slope. The problem was getting the pin to hit the block in such a way as to align itself to the hole. A dremel , drilled in place, to enlarge the outer hole so the pin will be guided into the slot, did the trick.
The biggest issue in doing this is horsing the canopy on and off, climbing in and out to shut it etc. Very exhausting.